3D base and overhead shade

Has anyone played with making a base and adding a snap on shade of some sort?

1 Like

@thunderphill did you ever arrive at a solution for affixing a shade of some sort?

I have not, it is cold here in Ohio so not found a solution yet. I’m thinking of a fan and shade solution as I use an external battery pack anyways

This is something I’ve been looking at too. I’ll likely start some CAD drawings soon.

My thought was similar… Sunshade, external battery to run cameras and a fan, sidewalls to channel airflow from front to back.

I had the cameras overheat a few times during basketball season indoors. When lacrosse gets to July, they don’t stand a chance, so need some major cooling.

I’m thinking 3D print in white plastic to reflect sunlight. When I get something worth looking at, I’ll post it here.

1 Like

Looking for a similar solution here too. would be great if some 3D model designer can create a box instead of just base to hold the cameras, with the opinion to attach some kind of shade on top. Box can make is easier to hold a power bank in it. With 2 DJI Action 3 I have, their batteries still don’t last long enough for a game with overtime (recording in 4k).

FYI for cooling there is also https://camcooler.com/ but a passive cooling solution as a first step obviously makes sense. a camcooler compatible base would then be the next step.

A GoPro aluminum case is the best method to avoid overheating. You can find one on amazon but I got mine from aliexpress which costs $12 a piece. In my testing it can lower the camera temperature by 5-10 degrees.

I’m working on a design to hold 2 Gamsod cameras with a power bank and USB powered fans to keep cameras cool. I’ll probably include a shade as well. Once complete I’ll post it.

I’m considering this option to prevent overheating. I did get my GoPro 11 to stop overheating in the fall recording football by removing the battery and running on a USB battery bank. But I always stopped recording at halftime just to be sure. I figure an internal fan blowing on the camera frame that has the processor attached to it will be more effective than blowing on the LCD screen.

That’s a great idea to blow the air into the internal slot as well. I suppose if the battery doesn’t have to be in it that might work well. I bought 5015 fans, which move quite a bit of air. I’m working on my design now. I’ll share once its setup. I’ll be using GoPro 10s

I like the concept and that I can purchase this requiring minimal effort on my part if I started getting in a pinch for time. But I’m not totally in love with the design as is. I’m not digging the fat USB cable, the multiple printed pieces needed, the USB fan controller, or the designated length of the USB cable. Preferably, it would be one piece when printed and have a USB port for me to use the cable and fan controller of my choice.