Firefly 8SE version 90 degree or 170 degree?

The Firefly 8SE on Aliexpress appears to sell two versions. The guide says that 170 degree is usually the diagonal not horizontal FOV but should I be purchasing the 170 degree version or the 90 degree version?

The 170 degree version. Its horizontal FOV is about 120 degree.

However, I would suggest getting a different camera from Amazon. Firefly 8SE is just too old. Recently I have been testing a new camera called GAMSOD which works really well and costs $189 at this time. You can find it on Amazon by searching GAMSOD 6k30fps. It claims to be able to do 6k but I think it is not real 6k. At 4k mode the video clarity is on par with GoPro 10.

I also believe this is the same camera as XTU MAX PRO (2022 upgrade) available from Amazon, since they have the same packaging other than different brand names according to some reviews on youtube.

I will update the camera guide to include this camera.

1 Like

This is a sample video made with GAMSOD 6k30fps:

ActionStitch Player

1 Like

Is there an STL for the 3D printed mount for the GAMSOD Camera?

You can find the mount file here: actionstitch-player/mounts at main · gilbertchen/actionstitch-player · GitHub

Later tonight I’ll update the camera list and you will be able to select this camera.

Is this filmed at 6k30 fps or using the 4k 60fps? Would the 4k60fps work with actionstitch if I wanted higher fps?

It was filmed at 4k 30 fps. The video didn’t look any better in the 6k mode so I stuck with 4k. I didn’t try 4k 60fps either because I think 30 fps is good enough for soccer games.

Would actionstitch cope with 60fps? I would be using it for hockey, with a smaller ball faster shots may not show as well on 30fps

ActionStitch can work with any fps. It is the camera that may not handle 60 fps reliably without dropping frames or overheating. I haven’t tested the 4k 60pfs mode of that camera.

What about if you used a lower resolution? I’m just worried about battery life over the course of a full soccer game. Maybe an external battery to suplement, and then a switch to a fresh battery at half time woudl work, but one thought would be lower resolution.

I would not suggest lowering the resolution. Even 4k per camera isn’t enough when the ball goes near to the far corners. If the battery life is your concern, connect both cameras to a usb power bank.

Thank you for all your help! I just ran them at 2.7k for an hour and a half connected to a power bank, and no issues with battery life. I am probably good at 4k with the bank like you suggest.

I used a 27,000mAh battery bank to run both cameras for filming and I could film for 6.5 hours straight and only use about 15% of the battery bank.

I used the Zendure Super Tank, 2 x 3m USB to USBC cables from aliexpress and velcro’ed (aliexpress) the battery bank to the pole of my 4m light stand.

I removed the batteries when using the battery bank because it gets pretty bloody hot. I am not sure if removing the batteries makes a difference with the heat but thought it might.

With that set up the GAMSOD cameras did not turn off due to heat at any point in filming. I was filming indoors however, if you are outdoors in the sun you may have bigger issues with radiant heat + the battery bank power. Potentially creating a shield from the sun around your camera to try and reduce radiant heat may help.

Can you reshare the footage of the game with your GAMSOD camera? Curious of the quality

The link to the sample GAMSOD video posted above in this thread still works: ActionStitch Player

1 Like

@gchen a couple questions about this sample gamsod footage.

1)why is the color/brightness so different between cameras? did they have different onboard settings applied? or is the QC just poor between cameras?

2)whats causing the left/right wobbling? wind? any way to get rid of that either in camera setup or post?

Diff of left to right color is the exposure I assume the sun is on the left side washing out the color where it is more shaded to the right allowing for more vibrant colors.

I would say the wobbling is the wind. A stronger base will help lessen it but when it is 10-20’ in the air on a skinny pole it will move some.

1 Like