Camera Angles and rig idea

I’m just wondering at what degree are people setting the cameras at for a downward angle? I’m in the process of building a rig using mounts and wondered if everyone used flat or like a 10 degree down tilt etc.

My current thoughts are a double GoPro bar with a 12 stop 360 degree adaptor and twin Gamsod 4K60fps on top of a 13’ tripod. Any thoughts?

I’m looking to be able to record basketball, 9v9 soccer, and 11v11 soccer. With the size of area being recorded changing I wanted to be able to adjust. Any suggestions, hints, or flaws let me know.

hi, I use the GoPro since two years to record our soccer matches and use a 7m tripod. from my point of view this gives a better view about the overall situation on the pitch.
for a tactical discussion I would suggested a higher position than 4m, because you will have a better feeling about the depth between the rows and players.
but a 4m tripod is even better than nothing and in the end it depends on your needs.
maybe you have the option to test it, because a good an high tripod isn’t cheep at all.
I tested at the beginning with a telescopic rod, as you can get them e.g. also in the hardware store for brooms.
I use two GoPro 7 silver. but they have an issue with 4k in hot conditions, therefor I wouldn’t recommend the GoPro 7 silver.

I designed all camera mounts on ActionStitch How to Guide with a downward angle of 15 degrees. This is based on the assumption that the camera is placed right next to the sideline and you want to capture the actions happening under the camera as much as possible.

Do you have a link to that? I’m curious to know how it works.

JINTU 360 Degree Rotable Metal Aluminum Alloy CNC Selfie Stick Bracket Base Adapter Ball Head for Gopro Hero Xiaomi Yi SJCAM Sports Action Camera Tripod Fixed Mount https://a.co/d/9ZIEGNV

Aluminum Dual Twin Mount Adapter with Two Screw for GoPro Hero 11/10/9/8/7/(2018)/6/5 Black, 4 Session, Campark, AKASO, SJCAM, DJI Osmo Action Cameras - Suitable for Camera Housing Handheld monopod https://a.co/d/bFrGdp3

So far found all aluminum parts which should hold up longer. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

This is the exact dual mount bar I purchased 2 years ago to shoot the video for first time, using a Firefly 8SE and a Xiaomi Yi 4k. You actually don’t need the 12 stop 360 degree adapters because the adapters on this dual mount bar can be rotated to any angle, although in an awkward way.

That being said, I still think a 3d printed mount is much easier to use. Just grab the file from actionstitch-player/mounts at main · gilbertchen/actionstitch-player · GitHub and upload to https://craftcloud3d.com. The cost should be about the same as the dual mount bar.

How does the 3d printed base hold the cameras in? Is there any downward angle or just flat?

It is just flat. The thread is leaning at 15 degree. You can get a good view with this page: 3D design gamsod mount v2 | Tinkercad

@infinitemonkeystheor made another one that is bigger and stronger: Working file for Camera Mount STL

The mount I made goes into a tripod mount. I attach the top of the tripod to the light stands which enables me to use any angle I want.

The tripod top screws into the light stand mount. I am unsure if all tripods are similar. I am also unsure if all tripod mounts are similar. This fits a Kogan tripod however it was created so the plate that goes into the tripod is separate from the main camera holder, therefore a different sized interface could be printed to cater to a different tripod

Most of the trIpods I’ve seen are just 1/4 or 3/8 screw top is why I was asking.

What field configuration has people been successful with?

Screw something like this into a light stand such as the 4m or 5m reccomended in the actionstitch camera guide. Then 3D print a mount that has a base piece that fits in the tripod mount such as the one I made. This gives you a very tall mount + the ability to angle the top + a strong connection between the tripod and the camera mount